Become a citizen scientist for the day and discover who might be showing their feathers by participating in River Legacy’s Great Backyard Bird Count FREE Family Festival on Saturday, Feb. 16.
River Legacy Living Science Center will lead guided bird counts and host a family-friendly festival as part of the 22nd annual Great Backyard Bird Count, a four-day global event sponsored by the National Audubon Society and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology that allows bird watchers from across the globe to count the birds they see from Feb. 15 through Feb. 18.
River Legacy’s FREE festival slated from 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday, Feb. 16 at the Science Center, 703 NW Green Oaks Blvd., will give participants a chance to be citizen scientists by contributing to a snapshot of bird distribution that can help Cornell scientists discover changes over the past 20 years.
Discover all of the family-friendly feathered fun available by downloading the activity schedule here.
In 2018, Great Backyard Bird Count participants in more than 100 countries counted more than 6,400 species of birds on more than 180,000 checklists!
This free festival is supported by River Legacy Living Science Center’s annual sponsors: Baylor Orthopedic Spine Hospital of Arlington, SA-SO and Viridian.
River Legacy Foundation is thrilled to be named as one of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce’s 2018 Nonprofit Organization’s of the year! River Legacy shares the nonprofit award with the Arlington Sunrise Rotary Club and is also in esteemed company with the Small Business Award Winners of Sugar Bee Sweets; 3Di Sign & Design and Arlington Today magazine.
River Legacy is honored to receive this award and to be recognized for connecting children, families and students to nature. Of course, we share this award with the hundreds of donors and volunteers who give us their gifts of time, talent and money. We could not do what we do without them.
Read the press release to learn more about the Arlington Chamber’s Small Business of the Year Award recipients!
Thank you to the Arlington Chamber and River Legacy’s network of donors and volunteers for your support!
Looking for some family fun during the school winter break? Be sure to join us at River Legacy Living Science Center for our Winter Break Family Activities on Dec. 27th through Dec. 29th.
- Magnificent Mammals – Wednesday, Dec. 27 – enjoy animal explorations with a bunny, opossum, ferret and rat followed by a craft.
- Radical Reptiles – Thursday, Dec. 28 – enjoy animal explorations with snakes, lizards and turtles followed by a craft.
- Guided Hikes – Friday, Dec. 29 – go on a guided hike led by a River Legacy Naturalist to explore the winter flora and fauna of River Legacy. Hike will be followed by a craft or activity.
Each day, choose from an 11:30 am; 1:30 pm or 3:30 pm time slot. Cost is $2 per person. Space is limited and registration is available in person day of event. For children ages 2 and up with a responsible adult.
As you begin your season of giving, remember we have great ways that you can give and give back:
Shop Amazon Smile
and select River Legacy Foundation as your charitable organization. You can do this by going to Amazon Smile
, logging into your account or creating a new one. You can also support River Legacy just by shopping at Kroger with your Plus Card
and selecting River Legacy Foundation as your charity of choice.
- Avoid the crowds and the hustle and bustle of busy malls and shopping centers, and find unique nature-oriented gifts, games, toys and jewelry for everyone on your list at our Acorns Gift Shop located inside River Legacy Living Science Center. The shop is managed by volunteers and all proceeds from purchases support our environmental education programs. Acorns Gift Shop is also the only authorized North Texas Retailer of Wee Forest Folk miniature collectibles. Shop 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays through Saturdays.
- Give the gift of heirloom wall art. Book a Storybook Studios photo shoot for $45 per child and the studio will donate the fees to River Legacy Foundation. You will receive a complimentary woodland fantasy photo shoot and one 8 x 10 fantasy portrait (a $250 value). To book your fantasy photo shoot in support of River Legacy Foundation, schedule your appointment online at www.storybookstudiosdfw.com.
- Donate to River Legacy Foundation in honor of a family member or friend! We will send your honoree a special acknowledgement letter and will send you a tax receipt. Donate online and select Tribute Gift as the donation type or stop by the Science Center to make your donation in person.